Thursday, October 20, 2011

fall food. yum.

Lately I have been doing as many freezer meals as my little freezer can hold, which isn't much. But they have been lifesavers for days when I just do not have time or the energy to create a meal. I have found a wonderful website- Once a month mom, where they plan a month's worth of recipes. I usually just pick and choose a few from their menu that sound appealing (they have a traditional menu and diet menu). I plan my grocery menu around these meals and a few quick ones I can do on days I have more time/energy- works great for keeping the grocery bill lower too since I'm not constantly going for this and that or grabbing random things I may not use. Here is one I recently tried that I did like...

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
  • 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into small chunks)
  • finely chopped onion, celery, and carrot (maybe 2 cups total?)
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain and wild rice blend
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • additional herbs, if desired (such as rosemary, parsley)
In a stockpot, saute vegetables and chicken until almost done. Add water, soups, seasonings, and rice. Simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
Adding the Rosemary and parsley really add a fall flavor and I thought tasted quite yummy.

If you plan on carving pumpkins this season, don't throw away those seeds! Here is a yummy treat that I have tried in the past and we really enjoy them. 
 
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
  • 1 & 1/2 tablespoons margarine, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
Directions:
Preheat over to 275 degrees. Combine the margarine, salt, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce and pumpkin seeds. Mix thoroughly and place in shallow baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. That soup looks delicious! I'm gonna try it with dev! Y'all need to come visit soon!

    ReplyDelete